Saturday, June 4, 2011

Four Colorful German Warbirds

More Brightly Painted German Warbirds

Hello and I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. I just needed to post some colorful planes to brighten up my day. What they have in common is they are German, gaudy, and have not been posted here yet.

This is the first prototype of the Albatros D.XI. One of the main distinguishing points are the four blade propeller and the tubing running into the cowling above the access door.

This Dr.I in one of two triplanes from Jasta 18 which are flown by August Raben. I may be wrong nd the cowling should be white, if so I plan on reworking the profile. There is another profile circulating which is blue and white claiming it was flown by Raben in Jasta 7. The reference to Raben flying a blue and white Dr.1 in Jasta 7 originated in published in Squadron Signal "Aircraft In Action"-Fokker Dr.I pg.17-26 with an erroneous caption. Further research seems to bear out that this reference is inaccurate and just plain wrong. I trust Dan-San Abbot's judgement on this matter, he is much more informed than I will ever be. So any site still posting this profile and the story of Raben flying with Jasta 7 are much in error I do see how this color scheme caught on. The reference is a black and white image and those are open to much interpretation, however clearer minds seem to have prevailed. I changed this post and removed the blue and white profile from circulation on this site. I apologize for the oversight on my part.

The Fokker D.VII shown above was assigned to Jasta 74. The pilot of the aircraft was Wilhelm Hippert.

The Siemens-Schuckert D.III was flown by Josef Veltjens who served in Jasta 18. He flew many different aircraft during his career scoring 35 victories.

3 comments:

kingsleypark said...

Now they are really stand out colour schemes!!!

I esp like the D.XI scheme, very unusual!

Anonymous said...

Some very striking schemes, great stuff

Unknown said...

Thanks, The German aircraft are so much fun to do. It does remind you why they called aviators of the time Knights of the Air. Some day I might even do an all red one. It feels a bit cliche because everyone and their brother has done Manfred von Richthofen's all red aircraft. SO far I have only posted some of his other planes.

Cheers

Will